Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter at our house

I really wanted to make Easter more about Christ this year. I thought about this mostly because when I asked Kace why we have Easter he gave me some worldly answer. I felt so bad, I thought we had taught him and looking back on it, we have had him tell us (before he finds his Easter basket) why we have Easter every year. Obviously he doesn't remember that part, just the candy, hunts and bunny. So we colored eggs on Thursday night. It was so much fun. They really got into it. Okay Nate did NOT get into it, he smashed his finger with a sledge hammer (he is getting rid of the rock in front of our house so we can get new rock! YEA!), so anyway he was out of commission.



I don't know anybody else who takes a picture giving THEMSELVES bunny ears.



Nate and his poor finger. He has to get it better because he has "valley tournament" games this week. That was his biggest concern. Speaking of the "valley" (that is where Nate grew up....in Huntsville), I still think of Sweet Valley High when I say it! :) I just loved those books when I was a tween!





Coloring eggs is not complete without a spill or two.



Here is Ty right after he spilled. He knew he shouldn't have knocked it over and tends to pout everytime he gets a "talking to."



Every year while growing up we had a few BYU eggs. I can't help but carry on the tradition and Kace is very happy to oblige!



Friday night Nate pulled Kace's front tooth out. Now he has a snaggle tooth (the other front one is loose, but not quite ready). He was very excited to put it under his pillow. Don't worry the tooth fairy found the tooth this time!

So on Thursday we colored eggs and on Friday night the Easter Bunny came. The Easter bunny didn't want to bring very much candy because she/he knew that the big egg hunt was coming up at Grandma Jones'. So Kace got some "chapter books" and a portable soccer goal.



Ty got a couple of books (a tractor one that was a huge hit!) and a tricycle. He really needed a bike for himself because Kace totally trashed his tricycle (it is in about 5 pieces) so Ty got a nicer one, hopefully it will last. He LOVED IT! Unfortunately for him, Kace loved it too and it has been the cause of a few disagreements. I wish it were a little bit smaller as Ty has a hard time reaching the pedals, but he will grow into it in no time.



On Sunday I after church we had a discussion on the real meaning/reason for Easter. My friend Kylene sent me the story of Easter done through eggs, so we did it with the boys. We looked up lots of scriptures and I think Ty was more interested in jumping on the eggs to crush them, but hopefully Kace understood a little bit! I think we will do this every year!

Kace made lots of hunts up for Ty and hid things in the eggs. He was so excited and it was cute to see. Thankfully, Ty got excited too and loved it!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally, I waited all day yesterday!! :) Yeah we tried with the whole meaning of Easter too, and I don't think it sinks in too much at this age, but repetition is the best tool at this age too. I am sure they will figure it out sooner or later. Looks like they had an awesome Easter, and that tricycle definitely looks like it will last. I loved Ty's little pouty face too.

Christensen Family said...

looks like you had fun. Tyona made a cute easter egg thing in YW about he true meaning of easter. you open eggs 1-12 and read a scripture. there are things to go with the scriptures. the last egg is empty to represent the tomb. My kids really enjoyed it and I like to have that part so they can remember why we do it.


I love that the easter bunny came on a day other then Sunday.. smart bunny.

The Swainston Family said...

I too love that the easter bunny came on another day than Sunday! We tried the whole meaning of easter too but I don't know how much of it sunk in! Looks like you guys had a good easter!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

I think the gifts were way better than candy and I'm sure they will enjoy them more. I really want you to send me the Easter done through eggs story/idea. I would love to use it next year and it sounds like a great idea. PS: Is Nate accident prone? :) It seems like he is always getting injured. Hopefully his finger gets better soon. Try not to use any super glue. LOL

Kylene said...

It looks like you guys had a great easter. I had to laugh at the "giving yourself bunny ears" because I have a picture of Hallie after we colored our eggs doing the EXACT same thing. When I get around to posting about easter I will totally post it for you. (Maybe great minds think a like and our kids are suppose to marry each other...what do ya think?;)

Melissa Hernandez said...

Looks like you had a fun weekend, love all the pictures (okay minus the BYU egg...one bad egg can spoil the bunch??) is that the saying?? j/k ;O)

mom said...

What very cute pictures!. Love the bunny ears. How fun it is that you would continue the tradition of the BYU egg since our easter bunny retired this year. No fun at our house. Oh well next year I think he'll come back. Hope Nate's finger is better. Happy Easter to all of you. Hope the tooth fairy came for Kace!!! Love you

Clayton and Heidi said...

Man your kids totally scored good loot. We had to share the red tricycle (and then the red bike) when we were growing up. remember?

Man, I totally forgot to do a BYU egg this year. That sucks! Now I am going to have to die eggs again.

Love the bunny ears. Made me laugh out loud.

Maybe you should make Nate a trophy for his hurt finger. That might make him feel better. OR...have to tried superglue to heal it? hahaha

Donene said...

Looks like a great Easter! The bunny ears were funny and sorry Nate that you hurt your finger.

Adventures in Heywood said...

This year I made John go on an easter egg hunt... haha... he wasn't as enthusiastic as my neice and nephew, but he knew he had a gift cert in the egg he needed to find, so he obliged.

Love the pout! That's the best. (For me, i'm sure you have other feelings on the matter.)

Shellianne said...

wow, easter is like christmas at your house!

I totally remember you reading sweet valley high. that makes me laugh.

Emily M said...

What a fun Easter! I am with you in trying to have Sunday be more centered around Christ and not the Easter Bunny. Next year I am buying candy I don't like because I ate WAY too much!

Taneill said...

I totally loved Sweet Valley High! :)
cute pictures!

Taneill

Jeff~Josee~Macie~Emry said...

I want a copy of that "egg" story...looks like you guys had a great Easter!
I wanna come see your new rock, is it big rocks or just gravel rock? We are looking for some big landscape rock, & I think I am being way too picky about it!
Oh....& I LOVED Sweet Valley High!! I think I had every copy available, maybe still do if you want to borrow them! ;)

Lachelle said...

I think that is a great idea; we do "Spring Bunny" (usually on the first day of spring but this year I was a little off--oh well). I lvoe the book "A Christ-Centered Easter" by Janet adn Joe Hales. It has tons of activties--we did a week of Easter (like it talks about). Thanks for your sharing your ideas and pictures. The egg dying brought back memories of hiding eggs at Grandma and Grandpa Andrew's Easter afternoon :)

Toni said...

MY blog is lame, it never tells me that you update! Grrr. It looks like you guys had an amazing easter! We tried to make it more about christ this year too and it was a lot of fun. Will was so genuinely excited that Jesus will bring him back to life after he dies, that was all that he could talk about after church, it made me so happy. If only we could be like them more often. Your little men are so cute! AND of course I loved the BYU eggs.