Saturday, October 3, 2009

The BIG one!!!



Every year Nate says that he is going to shoot the "BIG ONE." He was excited for the muzzle loader hunt and had seriously been counting the weeks (maybe even months) for it to start. He went on the opener with his old roommate Dave and then the next day with yours truly. It was a good hike when we went, but we didn't get the BIG ONE this day. He then went on Saturday with his dad and said that today was the for sure day he was going to shoot one (THE BIG ONE). But after about 14 hours for that day.......NOTHING! So he decided to go on Tuesday by himself (I can't say exactly where he went because then we would have to kill you--I guess a hunter's hunting spot is very sacred to him :) ) I called him so many times because I was worried about him being by himself and something happening to him (I tend to let my imagination run away with me). He finally called back and said, "How am I supposed to talk to you when I am stalking THE BIG ONE?" So then he told me that he got it (if you want to hear the actual "hunting story" you can call and I am sure Nate would be happy to tell you ALL the details) and was really excited. We are now making jerky and it is actually pretty good. I was a bit skeptical, but it is good.

When he got home with the deer the boys were so excited. I had to leave for YW and told him to take some pictures. Please notice Kace's magnifying glass. I guess he wanted to look at it close up. Weird. Ty was really excited and kept saying, "deer, deer, deer, deer, deer." It was a happy day in our house!







17 comments:

Donene said...

I'm glad to see that he got one, I can see why it was hard to pack it up the hill and out on his back. It is pretty big! Way to go Nate!

Melissa Hernandez said...

Just hearing you say "The big one" brings back so many memories from my childhood! My dad was a big hunter and I remember him trying to convince my mom every year that he was going to get "The big one!" LOL!!!

Christensen Family said...

Congrats. That is great that he got one. My dad went hunting for a week for elk and bear with his bow. needless to say if the were not bow hunting they could of got some good ones. MEN.

Unknown said...

I think even after they get the big one, they still are out for the big one. I guess it is the same with us girls and shopping. :) I would have been worrying about him too all by himself. Save some of that jerky for me! ;)

Anonymous said...

Jason's counting the days 'til he goes deer hunting. So far, nothing since we got married. Went with his family when we were dating and ever since I said "be careful" and his rifle butt slipped off of the camelback strap and getting a scar on his forehead, I think I've jinxed him. Hopefully not!

Natalie said...

CONGRATS to Nate. Greg will be so jealous! That does look like a nice buck. Now just think of how much you can enjoy your million dollar jerky! If only hunting was a cheaper hobby...

Emily M said...

I am so glad that Nate got his "Big One" And what were you thinking calling him as he was following it?

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

Next year I should send Scott with Nate, he's been wanting to go and needs someone to show him the ropes. I'm glad Nate found the big one. It's funny that your boys were so excited about the deer. I bet they can't wait until they are old enough to go with Nate.

mom said...

YAY for Nate!!!! The jerky was good. We are so glad he got the big one! Glad he was all right all by himself. The pics with the boys are so cute. Love you guys.

Katie Griffiths said...

I'm not much of a hunting fan, but I do like the jerky. I'm always glad to go hike around "scouting" with him, but shooting is a different story.

Tara said...

That poor, beautiful innocent deer. Tell Nate I wish he wouldn't have gotten the big one, small one or medium sized one....does this mean he is done killing animals?

Laura Burtis said...

OH WOW! I am so impressed! Congrats on the big one!!

The Swainston Family said...

Yeah for catching the big one! Way to go Nate! I love the picture of your boys that they are so excited!

Kathrin Paul said...

Ha ha, that's so funny that the spot is "sacred" it's so true though. My dad is like that and gets soo mad when other people are in "their" spot.
Way to go, mighty hunter!
PS I like that the word verification for this comment is "monson".

Jami said...

WOW! That is a big deer! Congrats to Nate on getting the BIG ONE. That's awesome!

mom said...

When is "the big one" going to be replaced by something different??? Maybe Kace wrestling or something new? love you

Clayton and Heidi said...

The "Big One" is starting to become The "Old One"

Ofcourse I don't have room to talk its been 2 weeks since I last posted, but atleast it hasn't been 2 MONTHS!!!