Right across the street from our hotel there was the temple of Zeus and Herodian's gate to the city. As you can see it was cold, while we were there. It was interesting to see how advanced they were in their building (most of the ruins dated back to 400 or 500 B.C.) CrazY!
We also went the the OLD olympic stadium. You can see just how excited Nate is at about this point!
Everywhere we go I like to see how that particular country buries their dead (morbid I know). In Greece they have these big marble boxes above ground and most have shrines on top of them.
We stayed in Athens for a day and a half and then started on our way to Volos. This was the city that was close to the air base where Nate was going to be working. We drove for a couple of house and then found that we had to detour off the freeway. So we started our detour and after about an hour we thought we must have gotten lost, but there wasn't another road we could have taken. FINALLY, we got to the freeway again, and there were cops blocking it saying we couldn't get on and had to go on another detour. But while we were there we saw this monster line of tractors on the freeway and thought it was strange. So we get to our hotel and ask the front desk person why all the detours and he told us that every year, this exact week in January the farmers in the area hold a protest against their government for more money for their goods and they use their tractors as blockades on the freeway.
So in Volos there weren't as many people that spoke English so it was a little bit harder for me to get around, especially because Nate ended up working for about 8-9 hours for 3 days, so I was by myself. But one day I got a taxi and rode up to this mountain village called Makrinitsa. It was GORGEOUS! It had cobblestone streets and you had to park your car and walk the streets to the different homes (well that's what I did). The streets zig zagged up and down the mountain. There was a little market that had little shops where everything in them were things that the people had made themselves, so of course I went shopping :).
We stayed in Volos from Sunday until Thursday morning and then left on the train to Athens again. On Friday we were supposed to go on a cruise to some of the Greek Islands, but of course this was the week that the cruise ship was being maintained. So I decided that we should take a ferry, but of course, it was windy and rainy so the ferry's couldn't travel. DANG! (we took a taxi to get tickets for the ferry, and ended up wasting $70 for the stupid taxi ride) So we decided to walk to the top of this mountain, where there was just one little old (ugly) church on the top, but the view was spectacular!
By this time, both of us were ready to go home and were ready to see the boys. It made me happy to hear that they missed us too :)
It was a very fun trip and there were lots of interesting ruins. It was so green everywhere and everywhere you looked there were olive trees. EVERYWHERE! We were surprised to see that they had some pretty tall mountains, we thought it was just going to be rolling hills, but nope, there were mountains. The food was pretty good. Not too sweet or rich. We went to a "tavern" on the sea and had some interesting sea food (this was my least favorite meal).
There were pastry shops everywhere. We wondered how they survived and stayed open because there were so many of them. At almost all the resturants there was Greek salad which was just vegetables, feta cheese (EVERYTHING came with FETA!), and olive oil.
Sorry this is SO LONG :)
24 comments:
ahhh, so jealous, but so happy that you were able to go and see Greece!! Love all the old ruins. The best picture was definitely of Nate yawning.
Fun that it all happened so fast... I hate waiting for my vacations, haha. This is one place I haven't been that I'd reeaaaalllly like to see.
What? You went to Greece? You suck. :)
Also, regarding the seafood... that's how they served it to you in cape town, south africa too... in the shell, w/ the legs and eyes.... they also breaded and fried them w/ the shell and stuff still on... so weird and gross, ha.
Sounds like you had fun seeing the country. Wish I had time and money to go somewhere foreign. So jealous!
how fun! I am so glad you got to go. you look beautiful in your pictures.
I am so glad that you went! It would be so fun to visit the ruins and see all of the old stuff. BC is very old and I would love to see it some day. I bet the food was good too.
Lucky! Looks like it a great vacation. The dessert looks yummy but the eye balls, not so much!
Looks like you had fun. you can't beat a get away.
Lucky! What an amazing trip. I am glad that you got a vacation away from the kids and it looked amazing!
It looks amazing. I am way impressed at your solo traveling skills in an area with few people speaking English. How awesome to have a hubby who gets called to work in Greece?
Lucky!
AMAZING! what a fun place to visit with your hubby, the pictures are awesome!
What a lucky girl to get to go to Greece! How fun! I am glad you were able to go and have a wonderful time!
So glad you had a good time. The pics are great and looks like you were able to see a lot. Glad you're home safe. Love you
So fun!! I'm glad you got to go to such a cool place. (I love Nate's yawning picture.)
Rach, since Nate has to work so much on these trips I suggest you take a friend along next time. I vote for me! :) Looks like you had a great trip and I'm glad you got to go.
Greece is a interesting country. Did you eat any musaka (sp?) or slavaki (sp?)
While you were basking in the old ruins, experiencing all kinds of different foods, and taking $70 cab rides your son was taking sissors to couches. No wonder you got away:) I liked looking at your pictures on Sunday. I hope that one day I can go to Greece. I think that the farmers in trenton should protest and shut down "main" street. awesome.
WELCOME HOME
ps thanks for remembering my bday while you were on vaca:)
It looks amazing, the dessert looks yummy, the eyeballs looks gross, you're amazing to travel alone, the yawning picture is very funny, glad you're home safe, siccors bad, tractor detour awesome. Now that we summed up all that was said you can just pay attention to our comment... we like your helmets.
Musaka is an egg plant casserole- it didn't taste to bad. Other ten they just warmed it up before they fed it to us so we ended up getting food poising from it- an it hit on the flight home ;)
Geez- it looks like you guys had a blast!!! I loved seeing the pictures! It is super crazy to think that all that stuff was built BC!! It looks cold in the pictures. I am glad that you are home and had such a great time!
I remember that crazy shrimp in Greece...It came with eyes, and legs! Totally gross!
Looks like such a fun time! You get Greece, I get the grocery store. So not fair! I'm glad you weren't "Taken." He He
Lindsi
ya, this has nothing to do with Greece (I already expressed my opinion on that), but i just wanted you to know how amazing i believe you are.
your oldest friend...30 years and still goin strong.
Post a Comment