Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tender Mercies

Last weekend started out like any other weekend. We went to Kace's piano recital (more about that later) Saturday morning, got our chores done and then Kace and Nate went fishing. Ty and I were just hanging out when our neighbor called to see if we wanted to go to Willard and go boating. Of course we did!
So after we had been there awhile (Ty LOVED the idea of going on a "motor boat" and went around the house shouting and jumping up and down). Ty and his friend Olivia decided that they wanted to ride on the tube. After instructing that Kim and I did not the kids to have a bad experience and wanted to go really slow (and we didn't want to get wet.....the water was COLD and I am a wimp). So we got on and went. It was so slow that it was almost boring, but the kids had a good time.
About an hour later they wanted to ride again. Not really wanting to get on the tube again we sent them with another neighbor Jace, who was there with us. He sat in the middle and had a kid on each side. Two teenage girls were on the back of the tube on their knees. We were going along just swimmingly when I saw that the nose of the tube was starting to go under water. I started getting nervous and was saying to Kim, "Kim, go faster, they're going under. Go faster!" Not knowing this is NOT what you are supposed to do in this situation. (You are actually supposed to cut the engine and the buoyancy of the tube will pop the rope back out of the water--glad to know that now!)
Anyway, she started going a little bit faster (we were still going really slow) and they all slid off. Jace grabbed both Ty and Livy's hand, but Ty got sucked under the boat and Livy slid over by the side of the tube. Ty didn't come up. I started getting nervous and started shouting, "Where's TY? Where's TY?" Everyone started shouting that and he just never came up. He was stuck underneath the tube. One of the girls felt him and tried kicking him across the tube and they all tried moving the tube, but it wouldn't move. Kim (When Ty tells this story he lovingly refers to her as "Tim" as he has troubles with the K sound :) ) jumped in the water and swam out there while I was still standing frozen and frozen on the boat. I don't know exactly when he popped up, but he did and everyone in the near vicinity knew that he was okay because you could hear him. Both kids were hysterical (although liv was ready to get back on the tube after about a 1/2 hour). It was a very scary experience. My heart still races when I think about what could have happened.




The next day was Father's Day and we went to Trenton to my mom and dad's after church. We were all enjoying a little entertainment by the "tire rollers" when we noticed that Ty wasn't playing with his tractor in the sand. He had decided that he needed to go get some hay across the street. So Heidi and Clayton said that they would go over and pick him up on the 4-wheeler. When they got there they put him on in front of Clayton and then Clayton turned around to hand Heidi Ty's tractor and while he was turned around Ty decided that he would crank on the gas. Not a smart move. They lurched forward and almost hit a cement wall. By that time Clayton was able to turn around and steered them away from the second wall and hit the brakes, but it was too late. They were still going pretty fast and the 4-wheeler flipped. You can see Heidi's side of the story HERE .



So we were all still sitting outside when Clayton walked into the back and said, "Now nobody panic, but I think we are going to go to the hospital." Then he removed his hand from his head and this is what we saw.



(Clayton ended up getting 5 staples in his head that night and has a broken rib.)



I really didn't think he was serious. Then I saw the blood and knew it was for real. Then Heidi walked into the backyard carrying Tydon and she was all dirty and bleeding from some scrapes. They then told us the story about what happened.

Clayton was really shook up about it, thinking about what could have happened. I was that way the night before I kept picturing Ty in the water. Not very good thoughts. It makes you appreciate how precious life is and how fast it could be snatched away.

I really believe that Clayton helped shield Ty from being hurt worse and that he is a hero in my eyes. I also believe that there was some divine intervention and was given the distinct impression that we were given a gift. When I think about it I can't believe that they all weren't hurt worse. Ty only had a couple of scrapes on his arms and legs. He had some road rash on his arm. But really wasn't hurt and didn't really cry until we started washing him up. He now has a band-aid on all of his "owies". When he says his prayers he says, "Sorry that Clay-on got hurt. Sorry that Heidi got hurt." He is a very sweet little boy.







I was given the distinct impression that we were given a gift and we should see this as a blessing.

"When you are doing what's right on and off the field........magic happens." I just thought I would throw this classic quote in :) Not saying that we are doing what is right all the time, but we are trying and good things have definitely happened. We are very very blessed. Who could resist this adorable little face. I hug him a little tighter and appreciate each moment a little more. I am so grateful to my Father in Heaven for the gift he gave our family this weekend.


18 comments:

Clayton and Heidi said...

That is the fastest I have ever seen you post after an event. I'm so proud.

I am so happy (and so is Clayton) that Ty is ok. He is such a strong, brave kid. On the walk back to the house he kept telling us that he would fix us, that he would get us a baindaid. It was very cute.

Love you guys!

Unknown said...

I am just about in tears! Okay they are starting...but I am so glad that he is okay (and Clayton and Heidi too) :). I just kept thinking about Livy at the pool, so I can totally relate to those feelings that you had, and still have when you think about it. Love you guys, and glad that everyone is okay now.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

I think your title is right on. I'm so glad he is ok! Moments like those are so scary but they help us keep life in perspective too. Again, I'm so glad everyone is OK!

Donene said...

I still get teary just thinking about Ty's close encounters. He is a very blessed little boy and I am glad that everyone is okay! Thanks to Clayton and Heidi for sacrificing their bodies for cute little Ty.

The Jensen Family said...

Rachel I am so glad that your little boy, Heidi, and Clayton are doing ok. Reading that story made my stomach turn. While I was reading the story about Ty being drug under water on the tube I was trying to read fast to make sure he came up and was ok. Scary!!

Karen Ella said...

OH MY GOSH! What a crazy story! It even scared the crap out of me!!! So glad you're all ok. Sheesh.

Laura Burtis said...

Oh my gosh, I totally got teary eyed reading this post! I'm so glad that Ty is okay, that would be SO scary having him not come up! What an eventful weekend Ty had! I'm so glad Clayton, Heidi and Ty are all okay!!

mom said...

So blessings come everyday and we were certainly blessed on Saturday and Sunday of last week. Ty is such a cute kid and it is pretty scary how fast things can happen. We are so blessed to have our two grandsons as a part of our family. I am so glad Clayton and Heidi are okay and that they protected Ty from getting too hurt. What a great family we have. Love you all!

Anonymous said...

SCARY!!! Glad everyone is okay!

Christensen Family said...

Wow what a blessing. It is funny how fast things like that happen. I am glad everybody is ok.

Adventures in Heywood said...

Oh my, that made my heart leap a little too. Crazy how that happens. The mom in me knows EXACTLY how I would feel. I would tell you a long story here about a bumbo and a table and a baby, but this isn't the place, haha! Great everyone walked away!

Emily M said...

Oh my gosh Rach- that is so scary!! Both incidents- I am SOO glad that they both turned out the way they did! What a sweet little guy!

Alyssa or Jace said...

As if what happened on Sat wasn't enough. We didn't know about his close encounter on Sunday. Jace felt so bad, he was second guessing himself and said he should have done things differently. We are so glad Ty is okay!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that everything is ok :)

Taneill said...

wow- how scary. I am glad you were being watched over. I am so scared of water with my kids. Hope everyone is feeling better!

Melissa Hernandez said...

Om my goodness, scary events, I am glad everyone is okay at your house, it's amazing how in just a second how a situation can change. I am glad Ty is okay, I would have been hysterical!!!!!!

Shelly Traveller said...

Wow-zer! nothing could be worse then having something happen to your kids. We thought Ty was lost the other day and that panic is NO FUN AT ALL! Glad he was watched over!

Brittney said...

Oh my heavens my heart was just a beating when I read it! We too have had close calls with things and I know just what that little impression is telling you that angels were definitely around. So glad to hear the angels keep close to your cute little boys.