8 years ago
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
I am old!
I knew this day was coming and I had tried preparing for it. We had dedicated at least 2 FHE's to baptism and discussing what was going to happen. I took Kace to his friend Christian's baptism the month before and couldn't think about anything else and couldn't stop crying. It really hit me then how important this step is for our eternal progression. However, when the morning of his baptism came I wasn't my best self (gasp). I started getting stressed out with thinking that I had sooooo much to do and not enough time to get it done. I got mad that they left their clothes on the floor after showering (at least they showered), got mad at Nate for disappearing into the shed to clean it (I thought the things I had to do were more important and he should be helping me.........selfish, I know), got mad that Kace didn't want to wear the new clothes I got him and chose to wear the too tight, floody pants. Mother of the year award I know. I am still feeling bad.
When we got to the baptism I started to simmer down and not freak out so much. Kace was so excited to be baptized and I just wanted to enjoy the spirit of that, but it is hard to feel the spirit when you have been like I was all morning. Not good. I want to cry just thinking about it. It wasn't until he came out of the water that the thought came to my mind "This is what is important......all that other stuff, doesn't matter." I know this is true. It really puts things into perspective.
Anyway, when he came out of the water he had a look about him that I don't ever want to forget, he had a look of pure joy. He was literally glowing. He looked up with a big grin first to his Grandpa Jones and then to his Grandpa Andrew. It was a great experience. I hope he remembers that and the way he felt rather then the mess of that morning.
Anyway, then we went to another room for the confirmation. (sorry if you read this part on Donene's blog, but I can't leave it out!) I was asked to bear my testimony and then he was confirmed and then anyone else who wanted to say something was invited to stand and bear their testimony or say whatever they wanted. So, my parents, Nate's parents and Nate all bore their testimonies. After the 3 person, Ty said that he wanted to go up and say thank you for his monster trucks (they had been playing monster trucks that morning) and I told him that he could say that in his prayer (he had been asked to say the closing prayer). But before I knew it Ty was walking to the front of the room, very slowly, deliberately and VERY sincerely. He turned around and said, "I just want to say, thank you for my monster trucks." Everyone started giggling and laughing and he was devastated. I didn't really want him to say that because I didn't want the spirit to be gone from the room with the laughing, but he was so sincere and innocent. He was just saying what he was thankful for. He then came back crying and hid under my chair until it was time for the prayer.
When it was time for the prayer I went up to give support (He could say the prayer all by himself, but he said he wanted me to come up with him) and knelt down by him so I could whisper in his ear if he needed help. He promptly knelt down next to me and said a very nice prayer (he didn't forget his monster trucks, don't worry).
We then came over to our house for some food..........it all turned out. I don't know what I was worrying about. This whole experience was a great learning experience for me. I will definitely try harder not to worry about things that aren't important and just enjoy the moment with my family. It turned out to be a great day with a lot of experiences that I don't want to ever forget :)
Sorry this is so long, but I didn't want to leave anything out of my 'journal'. Stay tuned for activities that happened a couple of days later :)
Posted by Rachel at 7:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
First of all I think you should be voted for mother of the year! You are absolutely a very awesome and wonderful mother. Those other things that went on the morning of his baptism, well they happen to everyone, not just you. I am so happy that I was able to participate in Kace's baptism. He did absolutely glow after his baptism and it was wonderful to see and feel the spirt there. As for Ty, well...that just made the baptism so much better. Quite the two adorable kids you have. Love you all!
Rachel, you are an awesome mom! What happened the morning of happens to all of us (except me, j/k). I have felt that way many times, felt guilty about it afterwards, said I won't do it again, and then it happens again. This life is a learning experience, where we are allowed the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them.
Kace, congratulations! What an awesome experience.
Ty, you showed me to show thankfulness in even the simplest of things. Thank you!
Congrat Kace! I can't believe he is eight already. Sigh... we are old. :) I absolutely love the picture of Kace and Ty. Those are some dang cute boys. As for the stress of that day, I think we all fight that battle. I know I get crazy any time there is a social event at my house. I'm working on that one too. You are a wonderful mother and I think you are doing a great job. After all, you have prepared Kace for his baptism and helped him take that first step towards eternal salvation. See, you are a super mom.
Rachel, you are the best Mom and do not ever think otherwise. I love to watch how you interact with your boys and they are great boys because of a GREAT Mom! I loved the feeling of the whole day and like I said, I learned some simple truths that day! Thanks
1. Watching Kace get baptized almost (remember that I wrote "almost") made me want to have a kid.
2. I to am thankful for Ty's monster trucks
3. You know why you are a great mom...because you had a great example for a mom growing up
4. your house was very clean
5. the food was excellent
6. Nate's shed was very clean
7. My house is not clean
8. I like corn
The end
Rach, just like what everyone else said, we have all been there, done that. You are not alone. And you are an unbelievable mother. Thank you for sharing your "long" story. Sharing the details makes all the world for me since we can't be there. Helps me feel like we aren't missing too much. :) Love you guys.
The morning you described is like most of my mornings (I lose my temper, get frustrated).....thanks for sharing, I feel more human now that I know I am not the only one feeling that way.
I remember that look on Kace's face when he came out of the water....it was like he was looking at his grandfathers for approval that what he had just done was right and true....you have a wonderful family legacy to be proud of!
You are such a good Momma! We all have those days, at least you realized it and changed your focus and were able to enjoy such a special event. I can't even believe it. What happens to the time? Congratulations on raising such a sweet kiddo.
Oh Rach- I am sorry that you had to have one of those morning on the day of Kace's baptism! I agree with everyone else you are amazing!! I can't believe Kace is 8. I remember you telling me you were preggers when I was in Atlanta! Time goes WAY to fast!
Rachel- The morning of Kace's baptism sounded just like my morning when Sariah was baptized! You are an excellent mom and we all have those kind of morning. Sariah doesn't remember the grumpy mom part, she remembers what an good choice she made and what a special day it was for her! Congrats to Kace! We are getting old! AHHHH
NO you are not. I see ya there My niece got baptized the same day. so cute.
So cute! I will just say "ditto" to all the other comments, because you're nice. I've ruined plenty of special events for my family with my awesome attitude. Mostly when I was younger, but when Laura and Mike eloped, I left in the middle of her open house when I was supposed to be taking pictures and went home and shaved my legs. I was pretty angry. I think we have, like, five pictures of it.
And I saw those monster trucks and I'd be thankful too. I love that he knelt down by you. So cute!
Kace: WAY TO GO, BUDDY! You'll never forget that day and the important impact it will continue to have in your life. (I can't believe you're already 8 years old.)
Ty: Dude, thank you for reminding everybody that EVERYTHING we have that makes us happy is from our Heavenly Father. Sometimes we adults forget that...
Heid: you crack me up.
Rach: (hmmmm...sitting here trying to figure out the right words to use...) Take it from someone whose life you have always influenced, your sons could not be in better hands. Of this I am certain: YOU are a wonderful mother.
I'm glad you simmered down! ;)
You are really an amazing mom, and you should be mother of the year for all you do! I really enjoyed your testimony on Sunday too.
Love the monster truck story!
I think Ty's innocence through this all was a great reminder of the words, "become as a child." Kids don't care if the house is dirty or their clothes don't match. The adversary knows when big events are coming up and plays his card as fast as he can to get us all worked up. The key is to throw your "do not pass go, do not collect $100, do not enter into my life" card down on his! You are an amazing example to me Rachel. Those little boys are lucky to have you forever. Despite the rocky start, it sounds like a wonderful day. And thank heavens we're all normal and can help and encourage one another through our less than stellar mommy moments!
and tell Heidi that I like corn too. ;)
You are the princess.
Don't be to hard on yourself! I have those moments everyday! My little Emma gets baptized next year and we are already taking about it. She reminds me every day that she will be baptized soon. Your a good mom and your boys are lucky to have you!
Makala Bills is my niece she was right after Case. It was probably too dark to see my but we where right by the door. :D
CONGRATS to Kace! and Rachel I'm sorry you didn't have the best morning. I swear they never go as planned. Always something to worry about. Ty makes me laugh that is too cute!
You know what I think? You look so good in that picture. Check you out, hot stuff!
Post a Comment