Wednesday, October 20, 2010

uh, oh. Spiderman is at it again!

Last Monday started out just like any other Monday, Ty was outside playing spiderman on the rope. He LOOOOVES spiderman.



Anyway, Ty was outside playing and I was in the house vacuuming when he came in screaming that he broke his arm. I, of course, said to myself, "Ya, right." I picked him up and carried him to his bed (when he gets hurt or gets in trouble he wants to go to bed) and got him his bear blanky and his sippy cup with milk (his comforts). The only problem was that he wouldn't move his left arm at all. If I bumped it he screamed. If I tried to move it he screamed. I knew something was probably wrong when I pulled his blankets up and laid them on his arm and the pressure of the blankets hurt. So I called Nate's mom (nurse Donene) and asked if there was any way to tell if his arm was broken without going in, she said no, that I had to go in and get x-rays. So we headed to Logan. We got there and got some x-rays but the doc couldn't see any fractures on them so we headed for home with the promise that he would call us later that afternoon after the radiologist had looked at them.



Poor Ty the guy.

When I got home I got a call from Nate (he had been hunting) and he asked if I specifically asked the doctor to check if it was dislocated. I had completely forgotten about that. Donene had mentioned this too and I was going to ask him about it, but just forgot. So I called him back and actually got to talk to the doctor (that never happens) and he said that he was so sorry, that he didn't check it, and that it was a real possibility. He said to bring him back in. So back to Logan we went.
Thinking about this part makes me want to cry. It was awful. We went into the exam room and he grabbed Ty's elbow with one hand and started twisting, pulling and pushing his arm trying to get it to pop. He tried it THREE TIMES. Ty was SCREAMING. It never popped. He then called the radiologist and came back in and said, "I'm so sorry. There was a fracture." He then wrapped it and gave us a sling and told us to put this on when he will let us bend his arm (after a few days) and then to wear it for 2 weeks. No need to make an appointment. I thought this was a little bit odd.



When we got home that night Kace was the only one that could get him to smile. He is such a great big brother. He was doing crazy tricks and trying to get Ty to laugh. It worked, thank goodness.


I had Kace swing on the rope to mimic what Ty was doing. They stand up by the tree and then swing down the hill. It was when he was swinging back up that he fell.

The next day his arm still really hurt and he didn't really want to do anything. I had talked to a couple of friends and Nate's mom and they all said it was really weird that he would do this and not cast it or anything. So I called Dr. Hicken, he got us in in 30 minutes, spotted the fracture right away and got a cast on (he picked black.........I was really worried he would pick pink, but black it is). And away we went.



As a side note. Ty told me that if he would have been wearing his spiderman costume then he would NOT have fallen off the rope (since he was swinging through the air like spiderman). We had to have the talk (again) that SPIDERMAN IS NOT REAL!



He is much happier now and his arm doesn't hurt. He hasn't complained at all about the cast like I thought he would. We have survived the first broken bone at our house. On the way home from the doctor Ty said that he would not drink so much juice and drink more milk so his bones wouldn't break :) I thought Grandpa would like that!



Our friend Krissy came over to see Ty after YW a couple of days after it happened. As you can see Ty loves Krissy!

18 comments:

Karen Ella said...

I gotta say...I'm impressed that this was your FIRST broken bone!!

mom said...

Oh that is so cute with Krissy and Ty. He is such a lovable little guy. We absolutely felt so bad about the dr twisting and turning his broken arm...we really felt his pain. Glad his arm is on the mend. He doesn't seem to be bothered by the cast at all. It would drive me crazy. We really need to sign that cast. Hope all goes well. Yay to Kace for being the only one to make him smile. love all of you

Katie Griffiths said...

I'm so not excited for broken bones. It's so hard to see your kids hurt.

Emily M said...

Oh poor Ty!! That is awful he had to go through all that. But I did laugh out loud when he mentioned he wouldn't have happened had he had his costume on. What a kid!

Laura Burtis said...

Oh my gosh! That is so sad! Poor Ty! That is so funny though, about being dressed as Spiderman! What a cute kid!!

Donene said...

I'm glad that it finally is going to get better! Sorry ty, that was no fun!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about his arm! You need to remind him that sometimes spiderman did fall. (Maybe it was only when he wasn't wearing his costume).

tkfonzie said...

I would say that you probably won't be going back to the first doctor...Yikes!

Clayton and Heidi said...

Poor Ty. That made me so sad. I want to punch that doctor in the face that tried to twist his arm back into the socket without waiting to hear from the radiologist (I can't spel goode) to hear if it was fractured. Idiot!

Anyway Ty save a spot for me to sign your cast.

ps. TWO posts in ONE week. Just wondering if it takes accidents to get you to post more often. Some of us need stuff to read at work you know.

Unknown said...

Good to hear that he is doing better. I just cringe when thinking about the doctor twisting it around. GO SPIDEY GO!!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

What was up with the first doctor?? Poor Ty! I had to laugh about the superman comment he made. Sad day for Ty... a broken arm and he found out that Spiderman is not real. :)

Karen Ella said...

To Heid's PS: AGREED.

The Swainston Family said...

Darn Doctor! I am glad Ty is going better! Hip hip hooray for Kace for making him happy!

Kylene said...

Man, I be ticked at the first doc.

He can marry Sam if you want. I think she could learn to love Spiderman.

Taneill said...

poor kid- broken bones scare me!

Melissa Hernandez said...

You have got a house full of boys, eh? I don't hear much about spiderman, or see the girls swinging back and forth trying to make webs from trees.....but, dang that is sure cute...minus the not so fun fracture

Julia Izzy said...

I just read your comment on Brittney's blog, HAHA!! Kace is a cutie, and it looks like Ty doesn't even mind the cast!! (:

P.S. thanks for "finding" the pig judge(: [gma's scrapbook]

Brittney said...

What a rotten deal! The dirty doc is lucky he didn't end up with a broken arm from you. Glad that it's all over and he's on the road to recovery. Good thing he has such a great mama!