Sunday, February 13, 2011

CALIFORN-I-A

Heidi gave me one week to get the post up from California and I know she will be surprised that it is up after only ONE DAY! Be impressed.

For Christmas our family was given a trip to California to do all sorts of fun things. We left this last Monday afternoon for the airport. Luckily for us my dad has airline tickets so we got to fly. My parents also have a timeshare so we had a place to stay as well :). We thought it only fair to invite them along for the ride and we were sure glad they did! After we got to LA we split up and they headed to Bakersfield to a farm show and we headed to Anaheim.
On Tuesday we went to Disneyland :). I don't think the boys knew quite what to expect other than what Grandma Jones told them. Kace was SUPER excited to ride the tower of terror........but we didn't go to California Adventure until Thursday.



Anyway, it was such nice weather and it wasn't crowded at all. We could just walk onto most any ride we wanted. Ty LOOOOVED the Matterhorn (understatement). He loved the abominable snowman that growls at you in it. He loved all the more 'adult' rides that went really fast. We kept teasing Kace about going on his "favorite ride" which was 'It's a small world' because that was his favorite the last time we went to Disneyland which was when he was almost one. He didn't like the teasing very much!



Kace's REAL favorite ride at Disneyland was space mountain. They were both exhausted by the time the day was over. Who am I kidding, we were ALL exhausted. But they were still excited to see Goofy (I kept getting mixed up on Pluto and Goofy and they were both quick to correct me!)



While we were waiting for one of the shows to watch Ty made a friend by the 'waterfall'. He seems to make friends wherever we go. He is such a friendly kid. They had a great time together laughing and splashing.



Mom and Dad came back to Anaheim on Tuesday night so they were with us the rest of the time.

On Wednesday before the whale watching cruise we hung out by the rocks and tried to see what we could see. Ty got splashed by a big wave that came up and got him wet. It reminded me of when we went to California when Carson was about his age and Carson got all wet. Ty's reaction was much the same as Carson's, but as soon as his shirt got taken off he was fine and starting being a "big stud boy" as he likes to call himself.





We all went over to this big rock to see what we could find......but mom.......she didn't want to get her pants or her shoes wet. She looks so alone way over there.



Then we did what Kace really wanted to do and went on a whale watching cruise. This was probably my favorite thing too. I will be honest, I wasn't too excited, but I would highly recommend.



Again, one of the nicest things was that there wasn't too many people and we were pretty much the youngest one on the boat. We figured that Ty would entertain all the older people. We weren't out very long before we saw our first dolphins. We were so excited, but little did we know what was to come. After about 1/2 hour there were thousands of them jumping and swimming all around us. It was SO AWESOME! I tried to take some pictures, but I don't think they do it justice as to how many there were.



If you blow the picture up you can see all the splashes of all the dolphins. Every white splash is one dolphin and for every dolphin you see there are 3-4 under the water. SO FUN!



After we went around with the dolphins for awhile we tried to find some whales, but didn't find any. We did find some seals and sea lions, but no whales. Kace wasn't too disappointed because we saw so many other things.



By the end of the trip we were all pretty worn out. I don't know why it is tiring to just stand there, but it is.
When we got back to the beach we went to the tide pools (it was now low tide) and searched for all the little critters that hang out there. This was Nate's favorite thing to do when he was younger.......and I think now too. Kace loved it too.



Kace is showing off his find. He worked for a long time trying to get this starfish off, which I am pretty sure you aren't supposed to remove (don't tell). Nate and Dad found some crabs and lots of other ocean stuff. :)





I don't know why Kace has to make a pose in EVERY picture, but he does, and we still love him!

We ate dinner that night at the Boiling Crab. It was interesting because you just picked the seafood that you wanted by the pound, they cook it, season it, and put it in a plastic bag for you to enjoy. Nate really really liked it. The rest of us thought that you had to work a lot for a little bit of meat. I had shrimp. Dad had crawfish. Nate had lobster and mom lived on the edge with fried catfish and fries. It was an experience!



The next day we went back to Disneyland and went to California Adventure. This was my favorite place! Maybe it was because I hadn't been there before, but there were so many fun things to do. Kace loved the tower of terror (that was my favorite ride too :) ) Ty loved it too. I was surprised, but every time I looked at him he was laughing his head off. Nate's favorite was the 'talking with Crush' and 'Soarin' over California'. Ty's was still the Matterhorn and we had to go back to Disneyland at the end of the day so he could ride on it one more time. Kace also liked the California Screamin' roller coaster.



Don't worry I took a picture of our picture :)



We also liked the Bug's life show. It was fun for everyone.



By the end of the day we were all totally worn out again. Who knew vacations were so tiring. Mom don't kill me with this picture. It is funny.



The next day we went swimming at the hotel and then went back to the beach. It was such a beautiful day. Nate and Kace went looking for creatures again. Ty wasn't so much into that and just wanted to play in the sand. They all liked 'running from the waves'. The water was SO COLD, but it was so nice outside that no one minded getting a little bit wet.



That night we went to a medieval times dinner show. This was also fun. It was a lot different than I thought it would be. When we got there we were all given crowns and told what knight we were supposed to 'cheer' on. Nate was worried that he wouldn't have enough food and would have to go to Taco Bell afterward to fill him up, but we were all stuffed by the time the evening was over. Ty and Kace loved the sword fights (although they were cheesy and fake) and loved cheering and yelling for 'our knight'. It was a fun fun time.



And now our trip is over and I have a TON of laundry to do.

25 comments:

Kami said...

First Comment... Awesome! I didn't expect a post for a couple of months. I'm impressed. Mom and Dad are cute:) Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Unknown said...

That looks so fun! I am glad that you guys were able to go and had such a good time. Loved ALL the pictures.

Becky said...

Best time of year for Disney!! Glad you had so much family fun.

Melissa Hernandez said...

so fun! im jealous there was warm weather! i think that cruise with the dolphins would be amazing!!! i think there should be a company called "After vacation cleanup" they just come in, unpack you, and do all your laundry and tidy up the house...it would really make vacations more worth it!!!

Karen Ella said...

yay! I'm so excited that you guys got to go out there! The Bells just got back. Kate was NOT a fan of the bugs scurrying at you in 3D. I can just imagine how much fun you guys had. AWESOME!

Donene said...

Oh, how fun!! I loved allof your pictures and Yes, our reaction on tower of Terror was the same, we couldn't stop laughing! So fun!

tkfonzie said...

It looks like you guys had a wonderful time. I totally agree with your statement...I am always exhausted when I get home from vacationing:).

Clayton and Heidi said...

My jaw dropped when I saw that you had followed through on my request and had a post done. Like Kami I wasn't expecting one for months. Here are a few comments.
1. I love...no...LOVE Nate's yawn in the whale watching picture.
2. Classic Dad picture...on the beach running from the waves in his HIGH TOP SHOES.
3. Not to point out the obvious but how come there wasn't a picture of Nate wearing his crown at the midevil dinner?

4. The picture where Nate looked the happiest was when there was food.
5. I like how you took a picture of a picture. Way to be resourceful. I'm going to do that next time.
6. I think we could make a book with all the asleep pictures we have of mom and dad.
7. Speaking of the asleep picture...I'm not recognizing the shirt dad is wearing. It must be a "free" shirt from the farm show. classic.
8. Looks like a fun trip. The only thing that would have made it more fun was if you would have invited me.
9. Laundry is overrated.
10. love ya

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

So jealous!!! That looked perfect. I would love to see all the dolphins. Your mom and dad are so cute. I love the picture of them running in the water with your kids and of course the picture of them zonked out. :) So fun.

The Swainston Family said...

You are way good updating already! I didn't do an disneyland update! We had lots of fun too! Now I want to go back!

Shellianne said...

I was sitting there looking at that picture of nate with the seafood thingy and I couldn't figure out how you could be in the background taking a picture if you had taken this one. then i figured it out.

mirrors.

i'm really so smart.

Shellianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily M said...

I was so jealous reading this whole post!! You guys had an awesome time. It is so funny the difference between boys and girls- I didn't see any pictures with the Princesses. ;) And I am jealous that you walked on pretty much every ride! The whale cruise looks awesome- I love dolphins that would've been so cool to see that many!

Christensen Family said...

FUN FUN FUN. I love all the pictures. The dolphins are amazing.

Kathrin Paul said...

So so jealous! Great post with fun pics! I really love Disneyland. It is my goal to get Kami to love it also. I told her she just needs to go with me. It makes a difference, so keep that in mind next time. :)

Natalie said...

What a fun trip--I'm super jealous!!! My heart has been yearning for some sunshine and adventure, so I'm glad you got to enjoy a little bit of both! :) I bet your boys will remember their California trip with Grandma and Grandpa forever. So many great memories!

mom said...

hahahaha! Way to take a pic of us sleeping. We actually were storing our energy for the next day. Thanks for the invite. We had the best and most awesome time being with you guys and your cute kids. How fun! Loved everything about the trip. Thanks again. Love you all

Jami said...

FUN!!!! I can't wait to take the kids back. And I think we'll go in February. Hehehe...looks like a great time.

Brittney said...

I'm drooling! What a fun trip! Glad it went so well for you. Good luck on the laundry- now you need a vacation from your vacation just to recoop!

Laura Burtis said...

Looks absolutely marvelous! So nice that you didn't have to wait in any lines at Disneyland! Man, it makes me want to go on a vacation!!

Tara said...

How fun!

Emily said...

I'm so jealous you got all the good weather and no lines! Lucky ducks! Glad you had fun though! :)

Kylene said...

My girls want to go SO badly! Looks like a party for you guys. I love the pic of your parents totally wiped out. Vacations seem to do that to people don't they. I always feel like I need a vacation from my vacation when I get home. :) You have such a cute little family. I hope one day we get to hang out again...like before the millennium.

Taneill said...

so so so so so so so jealous!!!

THE AUG BLOG said...

Holy Cow! Trip of a lifetime! Those lucky kids! Looks like a blast! Glad to see you had a great trip.