Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Nate's projects.........FINISHED........almost

Every year at tithing settlement we set goals with our bishop, one spiritual and one temporal. Nate's goal last year was to get a door cut into the foundation of our house so we could have another entrance into our basement. He got that done, but we never poured cement for stairs. So this summer we did that........along with a little patio. It looks great!





Also, Nate has been so excited (pretty much ever since we moved here) to dig a pond and have fish and ducks. And ever since we have moved here I have wanted to plant more grass in the front yard (right now it seems as if it is a big pile of weeds), Nate had always said that it would be really expensive to water it (our front lawn is pretty big). We do have one acre share of water rights so he borrowed our neighbor's backhoe (A LOT!) and started digging. Sometimes he would dig until 1-2 in the morning (weird). He just wanted to get finished. The boys loved riding in the backhoe with their dad, unfortunately I forgot to get pictures. I will keep some when he does the trenches. Everytime Ty heard the sound of the backhoe engine coming down the road he would do this wiggle dance and start RUNNING for the door. He does the wiggle dance for any sort of machine: tractor, 4-wheeler, big truck, cement truck (yep, we got to see it when we poured cement), etc.
The pond is pretty deep, about six feet and just feels up with the ground water. I couldn't believe how high the water table was, but it is. Nate had to pump out the water for a long time before he started digging, because it was hard to dig with the water.



These are both pictures taken from upstairs in our house, just so you get the idea.


I will have to make sure the boys don't go out there, right now, they don't, but hopefully they always remember that rule. Nate says he will build a fence, but who knows if that will keep them out. I am kind of nervous about that.
All he has left to do (I think) is dig the trenches for the water lines and we can plant grass and have a sprinkler system. YEA!
He has already got a couple of ducks and is looking on ksl everyday for other free ones (even though I keep telling him that they aren't FREE we have to take care of them) and has the fish that him and Kace have caught from the river by our house.




Nate made a HUGE pile of dirt that has since become a favorite place to play for the boys and their friends. It will make a KILLER sledding hill in the winter. He is going to use some of the dirt to back fill where he wants to build his monster shed (someday, people, someday!)



This is the view our upstairs bedroom window of the monster dirt hill. Also is a shot of the great swing set (also HUGE) that my dad built for the boys. How lucky are they?!

Well, I am off to get ready for tomorrow we go to Ft. Worth, texas. RISE AND SHOUT!

17 comments:

The Swainston Family said...

Wow you guys have been busy. That looks great! Have fun in Texas!

Laura Burtis said...

Congrats on finishing all of the projects! That is always a fabulous feeling! Have so much fun in Texas!!!

Natelli Johnston said...

it feels so good to get projects done. yards are a lot of work! what are you doing in Texas?

Kathrin Paul said...

Good times! Goals are nice, yeah? Especially when we accomplish them! And why do you have huge mutant fish like that in a river by your house? Do you guys drink the same water?
I'm jealous you guys are going on a trip. I love trips.
Kami and I were talking about a girls day. . .full of cafe sabor, the fat boy ice cream place (caspers?) and other rockin stuff. I hope you're in!

Unknown said...

SWEET!! That pond is freakin' HUGE!! Doesn't surprise me that Nate was on the backhoe forever. Must be a guy thing, because when he was working for the Munk's before he left he borrowed theirs and went to town in our backyard with it. Crazy kid!! Good luck in Texas!! :)

Emily M said...

Those are some major projects- that will be super nice when they are completed! So of course Sean remembers "Fern" and we were reminiscing on sunday about him falling at the youth conference dance instruction, :) I hope you are laughing as hard as I was remembering it!

Shelly Traveller said...

A boys dream backyard for sure!

Toni said...

I am disappointed. You guys have been so lazy!!! That look sweet! You live in such a gorgeous area!

Melissa said...

Have fun in Texas... We need to hangout. My Jayson would love to see nates pond project (they sound way too much alike, except for my Jayson doesn't hunt! Patio, pond, monster shed, swing set... WOW. Give us a jingle and we can hang out sometime( WE are new found neighbors right!). We are on our way to DISNEYLAND today.....YES! Hope you had a killer time shopping in TX!!!!

Taneill said...

looking good- you have all the necessities in your yard- you won't have to leave. You have your own little playground.

Taneill

The Jensen Family said...

That is awesome and it looks so great! That fish pond is going to be so fun for your family! Last week during the BYU game I was wondering if you were down in Provo!! I was here waiting for a phone call. lol

Donene said...

Your projects look great!! and I had forgotten about Nate borrowing the monk's backhoe to dig in our pond. He must have passed on that love to Tydon. Have a great time in Texas and go BYU!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

What a handyman! The boys will love the "sledding hill" this winter. I can't believe how many projects you have going on right now. How does Nate have time to get all that done?

tkfonzie said...

It is looking great Rachel, I am really impressed with the concrete work! :)

THE AUG BLOG said...

Dang! When you do projects you do projects! I'm totally impressed! That has to be a ton of work. Looks great!

Kelli said...

Love the pics, what a fun yard. I totally love the hunting pics too. You always make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Yipee for Nate's almost finished projects. Our NEW blog address www.jsnortonfamily.blogspot.com toodles!