8 years ago
Monday, January 5, 2009
Back to Christmas.........
I have been a bad bad bad blogger (heidi keeps reminding me). Christmas was so much fun. We had lots of parties and the boys (mostly Kace) was so excited. On Christmas Eve the Andrew family (all of my family) came over for a nice dinner and we exchanged gifts with Kami and Erik because we wouldn't see them the next day. Kace didn't understand why they got all the gifts and he only got one. That night Kace decided to type up a letter to Santa and tape it to a balloon and send it off up into the sky. He typed it all himself and did a pretty good job.
When Nate and I got married we decided that we would take a couple of traditions from each of our families and then create some of our own. We still do gifts to Christ with the Andrew family and read the scripture story (which we did on Christmas Eve). Nate really liked putting his presents into piles so we always do that right before we go to bed and we hide the pickle (his family always did this). The pickle is a pickle shaped ornament that we hide and whoever finds it gets the pickle present.
So that night after we (actually it was more Kace) put our presents in our piles, we told Kace that he had to stay in his room or Santa wouldn't come. If he needed us he would have to call us from his room (which he did a couple of times). So we all got to bed at a decent time :)
Nate and I waited and waited for the boys to wake up on Christmas morning. They woke up at about 7:45. We had a family prayer (I always remember we did this when I was a kid and my dad said the LONGEST prayer EVER) and then ran downstairs. It was so much fun! Kace got a basketball pop shot game, church clothes, battleship, etc and Ty got a train table and train set. They loved it :) kids sure make Christmas more fun. Nate surprised me with a new computer. I was shocked. I hadn't even mentioned it, so he did great all on his own.
We then were going to go up to Nate's parents for the big surprise of Mel and Jon coming (Nate's sis from PA), but it was snowing so bad and we were worried that we wouldn't even make it out of our driveway. We plowed through and made it.........Mel and Jon had to wait for us, but we made it. We had a great time up there and then headed to my parents. By then it was AWFUL, the snow that is. We ended up staying the night and went home the next morning.
We had a great Christmas!
PS Nate was SO excited (sarcasm) to sit on Santa's lap! hehe :)
Posted by Rachel at 7:05 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
That's a great way to send your letter to Santa! I will have to do that next year. Thanks for making the scary trip through the snow. It turned out to be a great surprise, and we had a fun time with all of you.
Sounds like you had a great Christmas. The balloon thing is great I read about that on heidi's blog also. Tyona is great at taking pics she is getting a camera for her Birthday so we will see what more she comes up with.
The balloon idea is a great one. I need to do a new post too! Looks like you guys had a great christmas!
what great tradintions, I totally want to hide the pickle, but then I kinda want to find it so I can get the pickle present. :D
I have never heard of the Pickle Present, what a fun family tradition. I love the idea of writing Santa a letter and putting in on a balloon. It's been so fun to read about everyone's traditions. I feel pretty boring with our tradition of new PJ's, I need to be more creative!!!
FINALLY! A Christmas post. I loved Kace's balloon, and I loved being with all of you on Christmas EVE. Sorry you had to spend the night on Christmas though. I was just wondering...who got the pickle present and what was it? That sounds like a fun tradition. Christmas is the best with kids. Glad you had a good one! Love you guys.
Thanks so much for the Christmas surprise! It was so great to have all of you there. We had a fun time and yes it was hard to go back to normal life.
Kids definitely make Christmas lots more exciting! I also have never heard of the pickle present. We also took some traditions of each of our families. What a snow storm- makes for fun memories!
I just LOVE Kace's letter- SO cute!
ummm I only keep reminding you to blog because A. I need something to read on my bored days at work and B. you have soooo many things you are neglecting to blog about.
Christmas was fun. I hope that Tydon is enjoying his suckers and Nate WILL thank me in the future for making him sit on Santa's lap.
I like that you have so many great traditions already. I loved the balloon and the pickle present, very unique. PS: Yes that was Cade. :)
Looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas! I love that Kace typed his letter and put it in the sky via a balloon, how clever!
Cute letter. Seriously, the roads were awful. Luckily, we had planned to stay up in Cache Valley that night because I was not ready to head back out on them.
You guys are so cute... your boys are going to be the ones telling their wives about 'well my MOM did it this way...' :)
It's about time. I'm just kidding. I have been a slacker too. I finally just posted our Christmas Vacation. Looks like you guys had a fun christmas. I loved Kace's letter to Santa. That is a keeper.
Hey! So fun to read about your holiday. It was fun to play ball with you as well! Thanks for coming! Hope to see you around soon! Take care!
crystal
We started the pickle tradition too (my mom did it with us growing up), but I always forget about it! This year Molly remembered as we were taking all of the ornaments off the tree and she found it...too bad I forgot to buy the pickle gift!
Post a Comment