Tuesday, August 4, 2009

small town July festivities

Just a fair warning. This post is LONG and has a lot of pictures.

I can't believe July has come and gone. Crazy!! For the fourth of July we usually head to the park for the town party. Kace was so excited for his costume in the parade (cowboy if you couldn't tell) and he got Ty a costume to (superman). They won the best costume award. The parade consists of walking around in a circle on the grass, not once, but TWO times. I thought the Trenton 24th parade was funny (it goes around the park block twice), but this one tops it!



Everyone ran in the races (besides me), Nate ran in the 20's group, just because he wanted to prove that he is still fast. Which he is. Kace won his age group and got a $1. He is always excited when he gets money. I don't know where he gets it. They were most excited for the airplane candy drop and Kace explained and explained it to Ty to make sure he got it.



Then on the 24th of July we headed to Trenton. I LOVE this day, it is probably comparable to Christmas for me. There is so much to do and it is always so much fun to see old friends. I got this picture of Karen, Anna and I, but don't know where Shelli, Kelly and Meghan went off too. Then I thought we could get a bigger group shot that night at the fireworks, but that didn't work out either, so this is all I got.



When we got there Ty headed straight for the playground where there is this tractor. He didn't want to EVER get off of it. He DID NOT want to share and take turns. He was content to be on it all day. If ever we lost him we knew to go right to the tractor and there he was.



Kace found LOT and LOTs of games to play and activities to do.






This is Clarissa (anna's daughter-sam didn't want to get his face painted-we are sure glad they are such good friends!)

As usual we spent most of our time by the sand volleyball court. I was on a team with Nate and dad. We took third I think. Cortney's team won. He didn't want to be on any of our team, but wanted to be with his friends instead. RUDE!



They had the home run derby earlier (in the day) this year, so when we weren't playing volleyball we went over to the ball field. I think I got my best hit EVER, I thought it was going to go over the fence, but landed right at it. I was pretty proud......I mean pleased....with my medal!



After lunch the firemen came with the foam. This is always a favorite, but this year when Ty got in he kept getting it in his mouth and then he would open his mouth and put his foamy hands in it. So he gagged and puked. That was fabulous. He decided he was done after that and went to sit down......until Thomas (anna's son) said, "come on Ty, let's go." Then he was ready again.

Shelli and Tyler always have a good time dragging each other through it. Dad also thought it would be fun this year to drag people through it. I might have been one of those unfortunate ones. I didn't see too many other grandpas playing with their grandkids in the foam though. We are pretty lucky!






Ty was exhausted by the time the day was over. I think Kami was a little too happy to carry him.



But he perked right up when we got to gpa and gma's house and saw the tractor. He was in his element!



Later that night we went to the sod farm for dinner and fireworks. They were "awesome"--ty kept saying that.
It was a great day and something that I remember doing EVERY year when I was a kid. I remember once my parents tried to plan a camping trip or something over it and I was so mad and said that it was like Christmas to me and I couldn't miss it. I love it!!

12 comments:

Miss Amanda said...

What a fun day! I remember that Kami would always talk about the Trenton 24th, and how much fun it is. I think your town beats all the rest.

Jami said...

Looks like great fun! Ty and his tractors. Too cute! I may have to visit Trenton in the future. My kids would LOVE the foam!

Kami said...

Correction: Tydon was not exhausted from it being the end of the day. In fact it was the beginning of the day and he was throwing sand on a little boy that was sitting on the toy tractor. So, I carried him over to his mother kicking and screaming. hahaha...

luv ya!!

Clayton and Heidi said...

Not one mention on how you missed Heidi and Clayton. I. Am. Offended.

ps congrats on the Home Run Derby.

Unknown said...

So why didn't you run!? I had to laugh at the picture of Nate running. Not at Nate though, at all the other guys. Nate was the only one with form! That foam looks so fun!!

Emily M said...

Oh man the town celebrations are such fun! (I haven't been to the Newton one in forever though- because we go to Bear Lake.) I love the Elwood parade. Congrats on the almost Home Run. How fun! I can't believe how much Kami looks like you in that picture of her carrying Ty.

Donene said...

Everytime I see the pictures of the foam, I htink who thought of that and it looks so fun. The pictures were great.

The Swainston Family said...

Looks like July was lots of fun for you too!

Toni said...

I love those festivities. Cute pics and way to go on that "almost home run"

Kylene said...

Congrats on the medal! You go! Fun to see a pic of Anna and Karen. I haven't talked to them for ages. (Thank goodness for the underground world of social networking 'eh). Your boys are adorable. We really must get together one of these days!!

mom said...

Well, I won't ever forget how much you look forward to the 24th of July. It would be rather crazy of us to ever plan something else to do on that day. It was fun being with all of you on that day and watching the volleyball games. (we did miss Heidi and Clayton though, see heidi we missed you!) Congrats on the homerun derby and thanks for staying for the fireworks. It was fun being with Kace and Ty and listening to their expressions. Great kids, wonderful parents! Love you

Shellianne said...

All I have to say is that we went to the fireworks and got turned away because there was no parking. So we parked up on the road and watched from there.

I'm not sure how much i like that picture of us.