Sunday, July 31, 2011

A day with an angel



We have been so excited for the Brigham City temple ever since they announced it a couple of years ago. Every time we go to Brigham we drive past the temple site and see what progress has been made. It is so exciting and the spirit that is there is so special.
We were thrilled to hear the announcement of the date and time when they were going to put the angel Moroni on top. It was a very rainy and rather cold day for July, but we packed up our picnic and headed down. Ty wasn't as excited as I had hoped. He wanted to stay in the car. I think he was especially excited to get his picture taken.



When we got there is was a mad house. I laugh now, thinking about how worried I was that we were late and wouldn't be able to see it. I knew that they were planning for about 20,000 people and it was sure packed. We went to the tabernacle lawn and were lucky enough to find our bishop (we love him) and his family as well as a couple of other families from our ward. And then we waited, and waited, and waited and WAITED.



Apparently it was too rainy and windy for them to attempt to try and get the angel Moroni up. So they had a prayer at the tabernacle and asked for the winds and elements to calm so they could do the job they needed today. About 1/2 later Ty had just had it (we had to be quite honest) it had been 2 hours of sitting and waiting. So I told them that I just wanted to walk around the temple and we would try to sneak a peak at the angel through the fence. When we got around to the other side we peaked through and saw them hooking up the angel to the crane.



We then heard three loud trumpeting sounds signaling that it was time. YAY! I was so glad we didn't give up and leave. The hoisted it a little ways and tested the wind and then there were three more loud trumpeting sounds. They then put it on the temple.



It was an incredible experience (for me anyway). The feelings I felt were unmatched and I hope it is something that my boys will always remember.


13 comments:

Kathrin Paul said...

So awesome! I love Ty's face in that pic. Soo happy!

tkfonzie said...

It was So cool! As the Angle Moroni rose above the trees, High on a Mountain Top was playing...unforgetable!

Unknown said...

That is such a neat experience. I got quite the chuckle out of Ty's expression in the picture. Takes after his dad. :)

Karen Ella said...

awesome! and so jealous! Katie's family went too...SO COOL!

Toni said...

What a neat memory! Seriously cool.

Melissa Hernandez said...

what a neat experience, i bet that was so cool to see!

Donene said...

That is just so awesome and Ihad to smile at the picture of Ty's happy face. I drove around the temple the other day and it is so beautiful, I love it!!

Kylene said...

So, so neat. I was visualizing the trumpeting and everything. Mormons are awesome.

mom said...

That is so awesome! I loved seeing your pics. I hope the boys will remember that always. How very cool. I also loved Tydons face in his picture. Enough is enough!

Brittney said...

What a great experience! We have been able to drive by a few times and it is so amazing to watch a temple go up. Oh- and I finally read about the little mullet experience- ha hahaha ha! That is so good. Always entertainment with little ones!

Tara said...

Raaaaachelll! Have I told you how very hot you are, seriously, you get better with age! You need to email or call me and let me know of all your happenings in the last 5 years....the blog isn't enough!
Loves,
Tahra

Clayton and Heidi said...

Hahaha I love Ty's face. I can just feel the excitement pouring out of his body.

You should have told me you were going! I really wanted to go.

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

I wish I would have known about this. I totally would have went. Glad you got to go. What a good experience for all.