Sunday, July 10, 2011

Mom's day 2011

I am now back from my break (kace's mullet) from reality and back into catch up mode.

I am eternally grateful for being blessed with the best mom. She has ALWAYS been there for me. She has sacrificed more than anyone I know for her family. She is a great example of what a mom should be.

**I remember a time in 2 or third grade when it was Johnny Appleseed Day and we were supposed to bring some "apple" treat to share with the class and on the steps of the bus I dropped my beautiful apple pie. I was devastated. When it was time for the apple treats I was shocked to find that my mom had baked an apple crisp and brought it to school for me. True motherly love.

**She would wake up really early (we lived out in the sticks so the bus came very early) to make a nice breakfast EVERY MORNING and we sat down and ate at a family.

**One time when we had a bad morning (I am pretty sure I wanted to wear make-up or my hair was really ugly.....I was in third grade) and I came home to find a nice card on my pillow from my mom. I still have it.

**There was the time in fourth grade that I really really really wanted this awesome outfit that my friend Anna had. It was from Shopko. It was a one piece and had a skirt with biker shorts underneath. It was all black except for the fluorescent accent buttons. I wanted it so bad. In our family we didn't just jump in the car to buy something if we wanted it so I pretty much knew that unless I earned the money to buy it myself, I wasn't getting it. BUT, before my fourth grade field trip to SLC she surprised me with it. I was SO EXCITED (understatement).

**When I was trying to decide my eternal future with my wonderful husband I skipped class and went for a drive and talked to my mom on the phone for a LONG TIME (she always takes time out for phone calls) and she taught me about having an eternal perspective and what was really important. She always takes time, with every one of us kids, to talk to us. She knows when we are having a bad day and comes and talks it out with us.

**When I was graduating from high school I had some friends that were planning a senior trip to California. I didn't even ask my parents because I knew we didn't have the money, but when one of my friends mentioned it to my mom she came to me wondering why I didn't say anything to her about it. She started crying and told me that I was going. She felt bad that we didn't get to go on very many vacations when we were little, but I think they are making up for the trips now :) She sacrificed and I had a great trip with my friends.

**When I was in kindergarten I remember coming home off the bus and seeing that our new teeter totter was installed in the back yard. My dad had made it so it would go around in a circle in addition to going up and down. I threw my backpack on the ground and ran to the backyard and my mom cam out and pushed me around on the teeter totter for what was probably a very long time.

**She never missed a ball game, dance recital, piano recital or anything I was in.

These are just a FEW memories I cherish with my mom.

So for the past two years we have done a "day of fun" with mom and the girls for Mother's Day.
Sometimes it is hard to know what to get mom's, especially with the fear that it might be boring (kidding mom) and so we decided to start the tradition of spending the whole day together and doing fun things.



This year we went to the big city and went shopping at the Gateway. Mom felt silly with us just buying things for her, so she got us each a shirt. Don't worry though she got some thing's too.




We then went to Mimi's Cafe and met Grandma for lunch.


I think our mom is so great because she learned from her mom's example. It is always fun to get together with gram.




We then went to YOGURTLAND. Anyone who regularly reads Heidi's blog knows that she is all about the yogurt. She introduced us to it a couple of year's ago and now all of us are hooked. We can't take a trip to Salt Lake without a little Yogurtland. I honestly think we were all the most excited for this. When I talked to mom a couple of day's earlier we both talked about how excited we were for Yogurtland. Lame, but true.




Can you even see the yogurt with all of those toppings?!



We then decided to jump out on a limb and try and go get pedicures. We were going to hike Ensign peak, but it rained (naturally) the day before and was all muddy. So pedicures was the back-up. It was heavenly :)









For those of you who read Heidi's blog you probably read about this little adventure MONTHS ago (she is really on top of it). She has very funny commentary about our activities. You can read about it here. The pictures are pretty much the same because she is the faithful camera bringer.

12 comments:

Lavender Lime Photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love that idea! I think I'm going to copy!
P.S. It took me awhile to figure out which gal was your mom! She could seriously be your sister!

Natalie said...

I loved reading your list of sweet things your mom has done. It made me a little teary. I think we all could make a list of things a mile long our moms have done for us and we need to remember those things. Thanks for the reminder!

Kylene said...

This is such a sweet post Rachel. Your mom is awesome and I love the new tradition of just spending the day together. Looks like you all had a lovely time! :)

ps. And I am sure I had one of those stylin' biker short under the skirt/body suit thing. awesome.

Karen Ella said...

BAH! I said it before, and I will say it again...many many times:
I <3 your family so much.
Uh, and the next time you decide to post memories...I need some kind of Kleenex warning... Or maybe I just need more sleep. :)
Here's hopin you're doing fantastically well. T minus 12 days and counting before I better see you...

mom said...

And now I am all teary-eyed! Wow thanks for the awesome post on me. I think you made me sound a little too good? Its easy being a mom when...I...HAVE...THE...BEST...
KIDS...EVER!!!! Thanks for everything. The day was so much fun and I had a blast getting my pedicure, something I probably wouldn't ever have gotten. I could name a bunch of things about all my children that would make us all cry...good things, I mean. Love you all!

Laura Burtis said...

I love reading all of those stories! I totally got teary eyed when I read about the Cali trip :)Aren't mom's the absolute best?! Such a fun day!!

tkfonzie said...

What an AMAZING woman you have for a Mom, and can I just say, I have NO CLUE which one is her in the pictures...she looks AWESOME!

Clayton and Heidi said...

WE. HAVE. THE BEST. MOM. EVER.

PERIOD.

Donene said...

I love your Mom too, and she isn't even my Mom :) She is a wonderful example of a selfless, faithful Mom!
Great post!

Scott, Kelly, Liz, Logan said...

That looks like so much fun. You're mom is awesome and I love seeing how close and supportive your family still is. :) Oh, I won't be there for the 24th. We will be in VA that day. I really am sad to miss the 24th but I'm super excited for our vacation!

Jami said...

What a great post. It made me cry. I laughed out loud reading Kace's mullet story and teared up reading this one. What a fun tradition!