Yesterday was our first day of soccer. Going to this soccer game made a lot of memories come back to me. I loved playing soccer when I was a kid. I started when I was in first grade. These are the things I remember:
1- We won our first three games 8-0 and then won the rest of our games that season. We were obviously very good :) Many undefeated trophies were won, while playing in Trenton.
2- Janet Cottle was our coach and she was very organized. We had a color coded position chart. I mostly liked playing forward.
3- We were bribed that at the end of the season we would get a candy bar for every goal we scored. I don't remember what I got, but I do remember I wished I was Kelly Buttars because she got 15.
4-We hardly ever lost in 5 years playing Trenton soccer (I then went to competitive in Lewiston and Richmond for a couple of years, but it wasn't nearly as fun)
5-Just a little song-think Troop Beverly Hills!
"We're the girls from Trenton hill,
Soccer is our greatest thrill!
We will work and practice real hard,
lalalalalalalalalalalala (I obviously forgot that line, so if any of you remember it, remind me!)
Trenton hill what a thrill,
Trenton hill what a thrill!"
Yea we were kind of dorky! But at least we had fun!
6-We had practice off the bus, which we loved.
7- I reffed for one season-note to self: never NEVER never ref against a team your dad is coaching.
Back to Kace's soccer......Kace was so excited, he has actually been so excited ever since we signed up. He did great. I was surprised how much bigger he was then everyone else, but I guess he is just about the oldest for his grade. He scored his teams only goal. They have a couple of what we like to call "dandelion pickers" They make me so frustrated because they don't really care to do ANYTHING! In this league for preschoolers they don't keep score, but the kids sure know the score and we LOST. I was kind of mad. I really wanted to win. I tried not to show that to Kace though, because he didn't seem to care as much as I did. He did a great job. He told me after the game that he was really good at stealing the ball. Which he was, whether it be from the other team OR his own teammates!
I did hear one set of parents say, "Well, looks like it is going to be a one-man show." Talking about Kace, but HELLO parents, your kid can go get the ball too! He was obviously one of the "dandelion pickers" previously mentioned.


18 comments:
The coaches were great and Kace was great. It was fun watching him play. Brought back fun memories. Love you
so did Kace knock those two girls down? Way to go Kace!!!! How in the world do you remember all those things from soccer?
What a darling family! It was so fun seeing your little boys. I can't believe you have a kid old enough to play soccer. He's such a cutie! I loved your soccer memories, but I'm pretty sure you Trenton gals lost to the powerhouses from Newton. =)
P.S. Go easy on the dandelion-pickers. I was definitely one of them! (Unlike my very competetive big sister!)
Wow Rach, I didn't know that you were SO competitive. Starting now, I'm refusing to be on any Church sports teams with you again...I might get called a Dandelion Picker!
Oh, when did you want to bring ME dinner?
Way to go Kace.... No wonder he is a ball hog.. Look at his mother. haha...
Big Rach! I found your blog.You look gorgeous! what a cute family you have. This blogger thing is so fun, I find new people every day.
Rach your such a soccer mom! LOVE IT! hahaha Cant wait to see you... we are coming this weekend and we will be there for a month, so i better see you! talk to ya soon
Way to go Kace! sorry with your parents you can't help but be competitive. It looks like a lot of fun and way to go coaches, I will have to come and watch, let me know when the games are.
So I take it you are the coaches...? Does Nate know anything about soccer? Just kidding Nate! :) You make me laugh Rach, you are so competitive. But I do agree, it is hard to watch at that age. Looks like Kace is going to take after his mom and dad though. Oh, and I had no idea you were quite the soccer player yourself. I feel like I don't even know you.
Rach- I also have so many fond memories of soccer. Brooklyn is still too young but the rec center is doing this indoor league and i got Brooklyn signed up this week. She is so excited. They don't play games but it will still be fun.
I'm impressed by your memory. Isn't it funny the things we remember. That is fun that your his coach. It should not still be this cold when soccer starts.
Go team!!!
Uh-oh, poor Kace has to deal with two very competitive parents (well, I don't know about Nate, but definitely you Rach!) You should not be allowed to coach soccer. I can just see you screaming at all those poor little kids. No, really I can't wait till my kids are playing sports and I can sit on the grass and pick dandelions.
Rachel, I don't know how you remember that stuff. I barely remember playing. Although, I do remember being jealous that I never got to play forward; in 6 years of soccer I was stuck at defense which meant no candy bars for me. AND, you ARE super competitive...i laugh remembering our years of church ball and still get uncomfortable to this day when I play with super competitive people.
Oh, and I forgot. As a coordinator of youth and adult sports and one who has reffed many a soccer game, i believe it's just as important that the dandelion pickers are playing...they bring balance to recreation sports and remind us all why we play. (ok, ok i'm off my soap box)
The good old days. I still love playing soccer, even though no one gives me candy bars when I score a goal now. Great friends and memories were made on the Trenton soccer fields. I can't wait to spend my Saturdays watching Liz play soccer. She better not be a dandelion picker.
Judd is coaching Lizzy's team and is getting a little frustrated that she IS a dandelion picker. But we still love her, she is just a girly girl. Kace looks so fast.
"You go you soccer mom you!"
(can I just add how much I miss you!)
Did you have to bring up the engagement video??? :) I can't believe I almost ruined a perfectly good proposal. I'm still sorry, Nate! Oh well, looks like things worked out great for you evenso. :)
Post a Comment